Market Street Church was inaugurated on 29th January 1983 after the Nantwich Baptist and United Reformed Churches signed a Sharing Agreement drawn up under the Sharing of Church Buildings Act 1969. The Agreement gave formal and legal expression to their resolve to worship, work and witness together. Both churches had played an important part in the history of non-conformity in Nantwich. The Baptist cause dates back to 1653 - the third wife and widow of the poet John Milton was associated with it when she came to live in the town in 1688. After meeting in various houses, the Baptists built a chapel in Barker Street in 1725 (it was demolished in 1957) where they remained until moving to a more spacious new building in Market Street in 1876, of which only the present hall survives. The current suite of buildings was developed during the period 1981-6 in parallel with Chapel Mews, built on the site of the Victorian church by the Baptist Men's Movement Housing Association. The URC component has its origins in the Independent Society which first met in Church Lane in 1801. It became a Congregational fellowship (the URC was formed in 1972 when the Congregational and Presbyterian churches merged) and moved to new buildings in Monks Lane in 1842. 124 years later, the financial burden of maintaining these premises brought the Congregationalists to Market Street and led ultimately to the formation of Market street Church. The Monks Lane buildings were subsequently converted to flats. Church members meet and work and worship as one fellowship united in their commitment to Christian service and mission.
Market Street Baptist United-Reformed Church,~ Market Street, Nantwich, Cheshire. CW5 5DG~ 01270 611634 Webmasters: Jo and Nick Thayer Contact firstname.lastname@example.org